June 08, 2009

I Got Scammed

I have written previously about getting copies of your credit report from each of the three reporting agencies. You have the right to know what is on your credit report and you want to make sure that no one is opening accounts in your name.

I suggest that you ask for a copy of your report from each of the agencies every year. I schedule the requests on my calendar and I space them apart so that I get one report every four months. The Federal Trade Commission created a website that provides you with the information you need to get your free copies.

Somehow, when I requested a copy of my credit report two months ago, I was redirected to another website. Apparently, I typed in my VISA card number during the “authorization” process and they started charging me a monthly fee, which I noticed on my VISA bill. (Another good reason to check your bill every month!)

When I called the toll-free number on my bill, I found out that I had signed up for a monitoring service from freecreditreport.com without my knowing. They would not refund my money and I had to fight with my bank to get the charge taken off. I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable consumer and I know my way around a website, so I still can’t figure out how I fell for this scam.

I still urge people to use the free service provided by the FTC. However, make sure you are logging in to the correct website and don’t give your credit card number away!

Organized by Marcie: Getting you organized so you have time to do what you love to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts