May 02, 2011

Finishing What I Started

I have spent the last year working on a book, which I am proud to announce will be available for purchase on amazon.com later this month. I haven’t actually worked on writing the book for an entire year; some of that time was spent telling people I was writing a book. I let weeks go by without writing a word, but I told everyone I was working on my book.

I spent a lot of time thinking about what I wanted to say and I read about publishing and marketing books. The outline was there and I’d write when I felt like it, but I wasn’t making much progress. Only in the past six months have I put any real, concerted effort in it.

What changed? I partnered with another writer who wanted to finish her book and we talked each week about our goal for the coming week. I also realized that I had to schedule an hour every day to write, whether I was in the mood or not. Sometimes the hour became two hours; sometimes I would quit after 45 minutes because I was just making formatting changes.

Once I got into the habit of sitting in front of the computer every day and writing, I started to think of myself as a writer, instead of someone who was working on a book. Writers have deadlines and publishers who expect them to finish so the book can be sold. I didn’t have an editor or agent or publishing house to report to, just myself. I missed three self-imposed deadlines to finish the book, which really bothered me. I accepted responsibility for not taking the project more seriously and got back to work. Now I’m looking at a release date this month.

I am extraordinarily proud of my achievement and wholly grateful to the people who helped me get this far. Next week I’ll give you a preview of the cover and a little taste of what’s inside.

Organized by MarcieTM: Getting you organized so you have time to do what you love to do!
Follow me on twitter  and facebook
And if you like this info, share it using the links below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts