June 16, 2011

Father's Day Tribute

I don’t pay attention to Father’s Day advertising because I don’t celebrate the holiday.  My father died 30 years ago and I stopped commemorating the day.  In fact, most years I forget about it altogether. 

This time of year you find articles in newspapers and magazines about the best advice your father ever gave you.  Sometimes I read them and think about what I learned from my father in the short time we had together.

If I had to rely on one piece of advice, it would be this:  Don’t force it.  My father was a very handy man and it seemed like he could fix anything.  He was always working on some project at his tool bench and when I tried to “help” him I would often attempt to make a piece fit by jamming it in.  I learned that you can’t muscle your way through a task; sometimes you need a solution with finesse.

Over the years I came to realize that “Don’t force it” can apply to other situations.  You can’t force relationships.  You can’t force thoughts or actions or feelings.  You can’t force other people to do what you want.  You can’t force yourself to be someone you’re not.

Those three words may be the best gift anyone gave me.  Happy Father’s Day.
 
How can you apply “Don’t force it” to an area of your life? Has your father passed on a particular piece of wisdom to you? Click on Post a Comment, below, and tell us.


Organized by MarcieTM: Saving you time and money by helping you let go of what you don't need and find room for what you value
Follow me on twitter and facebook
And if you like what you've read, share it using the links below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts