August 15, 2011

Extreme Couponing

I come from a long line of coupon clippers.  One of my favorite family photographs is a 40-year-old picture of my mother and my aunts sitting around our kitchen table, trading coupons.  My cousins, my sister and I are all couponers.  I am always amazed when people say couponing isn't worth the effort.
 
According to this article in The Washington Post,  78% of American shoppers redeemed coupons on a regular basis in 2010 and the rate is expected to rise this year.

I’ve learned techniques to maximize my savings and minimize time spent on clipping and filing coupons.  I get excited when I save a few bucks at the grocery or drug store, but I am an amateur compared to the people on TLC’s “Extreme Couponing.”  I haven’t watched the show, but I’ve seen snippets of it and I am amazed that people buy (and store) things they don’t need.

What causes these people to make purchases that they have no use for?  This goes beyond having multiple purses or pairs of shoes; one of the clips showed a woman stockpiling diapers and she doesn’t have any children.  Having a few extras of foods you use on a regular basis is smart shopping; stocking up on amounts of food that you will never consume before its expiration date is not.

What’s your opinion?  Do you think coupons are a huge waste of time or a sensible way to save money?  Click on Post a Comment, below, and tell us.

Organized by MarcieTM: Saving you time and money by helping you let go of what you don't need and find room for what you value
Follow me on twitter and facebook
And if you like what you've read, share it using the links below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts