March 12, 2012

Merit Badges for Grownups

Photo courtesy of Library of VA
The Girl Scouts are celebrating 100 years of building “girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place.”  Lost in all the chatter about famous former Girl Scouts is the fact that I, too, was a Girl Scout.  I started as a Brownie and went all the way to Junior Girl Scout before I deemed it uncool. 

I loved everything about Girl Scouts, including crafts, cookies and camping.  My favorite thing, though, was earning those badges. I collected badges as fast as I could, to prove my scouting prowess.  I still have my sash, although I’m sure it wouldn’t even go over my head at this point.

Back when I was a Girl Scout (and no, that picture was taken long before my time, love the gloves), badges were given for cooking and reading and good citizenship.  Now there are badges for computers and movie making and travel.

As an adult, I would love someone to recognize my endeavors in courage, confidence, and character; therefore, I think it’s time to introduce badges for grownups.  Here are my submissions:

1.    The Clock, awarded for getting places on time

2.   The Lips, awarded for saying “no” and meaning it

3.   The Dinner Plate, awarded for eating meals that didn’t come from a bag

4.   The Day Planner, awarded for finishing what you start

5.   The Drawer, awarded for putting things where they belong

6.   The Computer, awarded for persevering instead of calling tech support

What would you suggest as an adult merit badge?  Click on Post a Comment, below, and tell us.

Organized by MarcieTM:  Save time and money by letting go of what you don't need and
finding room for what you value
Follow me on twitter and facebook
And if you like what you've read, share it using the links below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts