May 07, 2012

Living Without It – Clutter or Not

Last week I had a handyman over to fix a few minor things. While he was installing a light fixture in the bathroom, the cabinet over the toilet fell off the wall.  And everything fell out of it.

Of all the stuff in there (and it was quite full), only two things broke and had to be trashed.  One was a marble jar that had been in my bathroom when I was kid and the other was an antique perfume bottle, which was a gift from a beloved friend.  Neither of them can be – or will be – replaced. 

Why? Because they’re just things.  Was I sad that they broke?  Yes.  Was I overwhelmed with grief?  No. Thankfully, no one got hurt and the damage was minimal. 

Like most things I have let go of, I probably will not miss either of them now that they’re gone.  They were lovely reminders of another time and they were decorative, but they weren’t essential.  I never considered them clutter, though, since I enjoyed having them and they were useful; however, I will find something else to hold cotton balls and my life will continue.

When you have a lot of stuff, think about how you would feel if you were forced to part with something because it broke.  Can you let go of the guilt, remorse or anger? Now, can you let go of the object?  Click on Post a Comment, below, and tell us.
Organized by MarcieTM: Save time and money by letting go of what you don't need and finding room for what you value
Follow me on
twitterand facebook

And if you like what you've read, share it using the links below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts