August 20, 2012

The Case for Redundancy

Being a Productivity Consultant, I usually counsel against redundancy. After all, why would you waste your time creating duplicate systems or processes? I regularly coach clients to let go of tasks or products that duplicate what they already have.

There are, however, a few reasons to embrace redundancy.

Recently, my computer crashed and I lost two years’ worth of contact data. Because I had invoices and a paper calendar, I was able to recreate some of the information I lost. I will never be able to document all of the phone calls I made, unfortunately.

Having some redundancy in your back-up system (some combination of CD, DVD, external drive, flash drive, cloud, etc.) can help you avoid the agony of reconstructing history.

I’m not suggesting that you print and file every email or hang onto every piece of paper forever. Instead, come up with a reasonable system that you can manage independently. Until it becomes habit, set reminders so that you remember to backup regularly, then store your backup so that you can access your work remotely, if you need to.

Now that I know how to backup my database correctly, I have it in three different places. I’m not taking any chances on losing it again.

What systems do you have in place so that you aren’t wasting time, trying to catch up?

Organized by MarcieTM: Save time and money by letting go of what you don't need and finding room for what you value
Follow me on twitter  and facebook
And if you like what you've read, share it using the links below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts