October 07, 2013

Why bother?

Photo by stockimages

When clutter builds up to the point that it overwhelms you, who could blame you for asking “Why bother?” After all, it’s a lot of work and when would you ever find the time to finish it?

I actually had a “Why bother?” moment recently. I usually shred right away anything that has confidential information on it. I know that I don’t like to deal with stacks of shredding, so I stick it in the shredder as soon as I’m finished with it.

Except that, a few weeks ago, I brought a bunch of shredding to my office from my mother’s home. Then I had a few pieces of paper of my own to shred. The pile sat on top of the shredder.

It’s not that I don’t have time; I can shred a few sheets while I wait for the computer to warm up or before I leave the office each day. It’s that the pile had become a burden. I would have to move the whole stack off the top of the shredder just to shred one sheet.

So, instead, I added some more of my own and then some more of my mother’s paperwork. At that point, it was more than I wanted to deal with.

After about a week of watching the pile grow, I realized that I didn’t have to do it at all. There is a free shredding service near one of my clients and I dropped it off after our last visit. Done.
Do you have areas of your home or work where things pile up and make you want to give up? Instead of asking “Why bother?” ask what you can do differently to avoid the feeling of being overwhelmed.

Organized by Marcie TM: Save time and money by letting go of what you don't need and finding room for what you value
Follow me on
twitter, facebook and pinterest
And if you like what you've read, share it using the links below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts