July 28, 2014

Quote: Let Go of Perfection

Photo by artemisphoto

I’m trying to buy a new (to me) car.

My current car is 15 years old. Aside from the fact that the car has been dependable, the thought of buying another car keeps me from replacing the old Corolla.

For me, shopping for a car ranks up there with getting my teeth drilled. It probably isn’t that  torturous, but I let it become a huge project.

Part of the problem right now is that I don’t have a particular car in mind. So I resort to my failsafe habit: I research and make lists.

I have a list of no-compromise options. I have a list of cars in my price range. I have a list of expert opinions on those cars. And the “Car Comparison” document is now seven pages long.

I congratulate myself for not creating a spreadsheet, which is one of my alternative behaviors when I have to make a complicated choice.

No matter what I choose, there will always be a less expensive car or one with better options or one with more cargo room or whatever. Being satisfied with the result of the search is the challenge. In other words, when do you stop looking?


Striving for perfection is the greatest stopper there is. It’s your excuse to yourself for not doing anything.  Instead, strive for excellence, doing your best. – Sir Laurence Olivier


At some point, you have to realize that more searching, more editing, more list making -  more delaying - is not serving you. You need to act.

Give your best effort to the things you do and let go of the striving for perfection. You’ll get more done and you’ll experience less stress.

Do you struggle with trying to do things perfectly? Can you create a limit for the amount of work you put into a task so that it just gets done?

Organized by Marcie TM: Save time and money by letting go of what you don't need and finding room for what you value
Follow me on
twitter , facebook and pinterest
And if you like what you've read, share it using the links below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts