July 06, 2015

Managing Multitasking: How and When to Do It

Photo by Gabriel Rojas Hruska

Yesterday I went on a cleaning rampage. In addition to laundry, bathrooms, kitchen and floors, I also worked on painting a desk and the bathroom. Why the frenzy? I don’t know. Sometimes I get a burst of energy and I don’t question it.


I accomplished it all by doing more than one thing at a time. If you’ve read my posts, you know I’m not a fan of multitasking. Research shows that when people think they’re multitasking, they actually are shifting from one task to another, resulting in a loss of productivity.

When I promote multitasking, I refer to getting two chores done at the same time, neither of which requires your concentrated attention. Yesterday I vacuumed floors while washing a load of laundry. I cleaned the kitchen while I waited for the paint to dry in the bathroom. I cleaned the bathroom while I waited for the paint to dry on the desk drawers.

Instead of doing one thing, I was splitting my time between tasks. That’s the way to multitask.

You can do the same thing at work, too. Take advantage of moments when you don’t need to concentrate - check email while you print a document; file loose papers while you’re on hold on the phone.

Leave the juggling to someone who wears a clown nose. Which low-level tasks can you accomplish together?
 
Organized by Marcie
TM: Save time and money by letting go of what you don't need and finding room for what you value
Follow me on
twitter, facebook and pinterest
And if you like what you've read, share it using the links below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts