July 19, 2011

Consumerism vs. Everyday

I saw this blog post and felt compelled to expand on it with one of my own.  Dave Bruno, the author of The 100-Thing Challenge and the dave behind guynameddave.com, answered a question from his facebook page about consumerism:   Where should we draw the line when it comes to resisting the excesses of consumerism and still live life in a modern world?

Dave answers that we are able to buy what we want, whether or not we can afford it, given the availability of credit.  He goes on to say that we often equate “having fun” with spending money. 
Should you get that thing you’ve been wanting? Should you go on that trip you’ve been dreaming about? You’ll have to make the decision… Experience life without the need for paid entertainment most of the time. You’ll create less bills and regrets, but more character and joy.
I’d like to replace my 16-year-old car. I’d like a kayak. In fact, I’d like a boat. I’d like a bike. I’d like to do more backpacking. I would like some new clothes. And I’d like a band saw. All of these things and more are things I could get . . . if I compromised. But too much of my life has been a compromise where consumerism is involved. So I’m being a fuddy dud for a while, in most cases. I’m imposing self-restraint.
I would add that we buy whether or not we need it and have room for it in our lives.  When the time is right for you to indulge in a special purchase – you have the money, room for it and the opportunity to enjoy it – go ahead.  Otherwise, think like Dave and exercise some self restraint.  There will always be something else that you’ll want another time.

What activities can you participate in now that don’t cost you anything in terms of money or space?  Click on Post a Comment, below, and tell us.
Organized by MarcieTM: Saving you time and money by helping you let go of what you don't need and find room for what you value
Follow me on twitter and facebook
And if you like what you've read, share it using the links below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts